Old 14-10-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default orchid problems

Pam Moore wrote:
I have 2 orchids, a Phalaenopsis and a cymbidium which won't
re-flower.
The cymbidium I have had for about 15 years. I bought it in flower
for my Mum, and it has never flowered since. It's huge and looks
healthy enough. The last 2 summers it has spent outside in a shady
part of the garden. It used to be in the bathroom but it's now in the
living room where it might be a bit warmer.

May need to be cooler to initiate flowering. Also overpotting is a great
way to stop them flowering - you get lots of new leaves and no flowers
until the thing is practically bursting the pot with roots.

The phalaenopsis I've had 4 or 5 years. It had 2 flowering stems
which I cut back to the next node as top flowers faded and eventually
cut off the whole stems when they went woody. All it will produce now
ar aerial roots, which come out of each leaf joint.

Sounds like it might prefer a slightly more humid atmosphere. Mine tend
to flower almost continuously so long as they are not overpotted.

Do any of you have suggestions from personal experience? I've read up
quite a bit but cannot find what I'm not doing.
Feeding? I give them an occasional (every month or so) feed of orchid
fertiliser and I think I'm watering correctly.

A bit of extra orchid food might not go amiss. They tolerate
underwatering pretty well and don't like wet feet.
Mine get treated a bit like cacti.

Regards,
Martin Brown