Old 15-10-2009, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug odom doug odom is offline

Default orchid problems

On Oct 14, 9:55*am, Pam Moore wrote:
I have 2 orchids, a Phalaenopsis and a cymbidium which won't
re-flower.
The cymbidium I have had for about 15 years. *I bought it in flower
for my Mum, and it has never flowered since. *It's huge and looks
healthy enough. *The last 2 summers it has spent outside in a shady
part of the garden. *It used to be in the bathroom but it's now in the
living room where it might be a bit warmer.
The phalaenopsis I've had 4 or 5 years. *It had 2 flowering stems
which I cut back to the next node as top flowers faded and eventually
cut off the whole stems when they went woody. *All it will produce now
ar aerial roots, which come out of each leaf joint.
Do any of you have suggestions from personal experience? *I've read up
quite a bit but cannot find what I'm not doing.
Feeding? *I give them an occasional (every month or so) feed of orchid
fertiliser and I think I'm watering correctly.

Pam in Bristol