Old 17-10-2009, 03:45 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Is there anything better than Blood and Bone?

0tterbot wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

adjusts robe and mortarboard

Poo falls into three categories depending on origin:

- carnivores (dogs, cats, people) not very useful, risky
- birds (chooks, turkeys, pigeons, rabbits* etc) much nutrient with
some bulk
- herbivorous animals (cows, horses, elephants, alpacas etc) much
organic bulk with some nutrients

The best strategy is to choose the combination sourced from the
second and third categories that is cheap and readily available
where you are that suits the needs of your soil. Initially if the
garden is run down you will
probably need some from both categories. It is just as important to
improve
the texture and organic content as it is the nutrient levels. Apply
bird sparingly (especially if it is fresh) and herbivore liberally.

David

*The rabbits round here don't fly but their manure is nearer to bird
composition than it is to the big herbivores.

i _would_ say, though, that carnivore poo is just as good as any
other poo after composting! it's just the nature of poo - it's meant
to be out there.

After treatment it's all good. All of ours goes on to the windbreak after
processing. I am not one to say the cat's tray cannot go into the compost.
However you are unlikely to have access to much carnivore manure that is
safe enough to handle in quantity unless it has been processed in some way.
I advise against it not because of shock-horror (although cat's trays are a
test to the stomach of anybody) but because it is an impractical.

worms in worm farms will eat carnivore poo (not too much at a time
though). people-poo from composting toilets, once composted. etc etc
etc. we're a bit precious about carnivore poo but it certainly has
its place - you just don't want to be using it fresh and all piled
together - you would manage it to get the best from it, like other
poo :-)

Rabbits are not the only animal to do re-processing ;-)

having said that, i agree wholeheartedly with david here for general
poo advice. g
kylie

Since I was wearing my silly hat you had better believe it.