Old 17-10-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Tomatoes still flowering

wrote in message
I still have 2 greenhouses full of ripening tomatoes, but the
plants all seem to be busy flowering again. Not just one or
two varieties, but all 10 or so varieties are at it!
Is it just the odd late summer we've been having confusing the
poor things? And is it worth letting them flower, or should I
be snipping them back to encourage the green fruit to ripen on
the vine?
I don't remember having such vigorous growth at this time of
year before!

My outdoor tomatoes are still going strong and I keep having to hack them
back to prevent them taking over their little plot.
They are still flowering - I stopped the main stems but they keep growing
new flowering side shoots.
The tomatoes are ripening more slowly but they are still ripening.

I don't remember anything like this in the last few years (but then I have
been in Berkshire for four years) however in the early 2000s I do remember
going overboard with a large number of pots on the patio and still getting
tomatoes until the first frost sometime in late November.
The trick is to take all the remaining fruit indoors JUST BEFORE the first
frost :-)
[Which I didn't]

As stated elsewhere they do seem to keep on going as long as they can.

I have seen people religiously follow the guidelines about the number of
trusses for a plant and seen greenhouses where there are naked tomato vines
with no leaves and just the final truss ripening in the middle of a glorious
September. It never really made sense to me but then I do try to squeeze
'that little bit more' out of most things.

Enjoy the barbeque autumn and get as many tomatoes as you can.

Cheers

Dave R