Old 17-10-2009, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Olives ripening in the UK

I am hanging on waiting for my very small crop of olives to ripen.
They are currently a yellowish green.

From http://www.eastofedenplants.co.uk/olive_guide.htm
"They need long, hot summers for the fruits to ripen fully"

Does this mean that as the summer is no longer (let alone hot) that there
will be no further ripening?

I am sure the olives have turned black in the past but I think they were
much smaller, and a sparser crop.

Has anyone else got a current crop of olives on the go?
If so, how are they doing and are you going to wait longer before picking
them?

Cheers

Dave R

Ah - pictures found further down the web page:

"Harvest time
Picture taken Cornwall 26.11.2004"
and
"Still fruiting
Picture taken Plymouth
January 2009 "

So perhaps I should leave them for a while.