Old 17-10-2009, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Tomatoes still flowering

???? ? ????-?? wrote:
I think you'll find that heat does the trick rather than sunlight.

In Spain for example, they usually grow toms on rows of "tepees" ,
deliberately so that the trusses dangle down inside the rows and get
very little direct sunlight.

Oh, ok. That'll be my "something new" to learn for today, then.
I thought one of the reasons for chopping back the lower/dying leaves
as it got later in the year was to allow the light in to ripen the
tomatoes. *shrug*

And, of course, picked toms ripen very well in dark drawers.

True, but that's to do with keeping the appropriate gasses in with
the fruit to help speed up ripening. (Helps with a banana in there
too - in August when we're trying to ripen for the local gardening
club we've left whole bunches of bananas in the greenhouse when they
aren't co-operating)