Old 17-10-2009, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default One gardening textbook.

On 17 Oct, 16:45, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Martin_Stevens" *wrote

Suggestions, please, for a textbook to comprehensively cover vegetable
growing for a new (coming to the end of my first season) allotment
holder.
I've had some good successes and a few failures and learnt a
tremendous amount but I'd like a single source of reference that has
good depth on everything I might need to know - and on things that I
might not need to know but will find very useful to know. A text that
covers everything and assumes a starting knowledge of zero would be
good, and with a 'want to at least try to be organic' bias.
ISBN numbers for suggested texts would be very useful, if you're
suggesting a book you own and can find such information.

The Complete Manual of Organic Gardening edited by Basil Chaplan
ISBN 0 7472 7830 X. *Published by Headline Book Publishing.
I think it is out of print but you may be able to pick up a copy on Amazon
or similar.
Covers all aspects of gardening, veg and flowers, and although not
completely organic ourselves it is an excellent book.

Alternatively the Dr Hessayon books are usually good.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I won't recommend any books, brows your local library and when you
find a book you dont want to hand back then think about buying it,
also brows some of the 2nd hand bookshops, you might find books from
the 20's and 30's of more usw as so many chemicals etc are being taken
off the market.
David Hill