Old 18-10-2009, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Tomatoes still flowering

On 2009-10-18 11:40:25 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-10-18 11:02:28 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 16, 11:50*pm, wrote:
I still have 2 greenhouses full of ripening tomatoes, but the
plants all seem to be busy flowering again. *Not just one or
two varieties, but all 10 or so varieties are at it!
Is it just the odd late summer we've been having confusing the
poor things? *And is it worth letting them flower, or should I
be snipping them back to encourage the green fruit to ripen on
the vine?
I don't remember having such vigorous growth at this time of
year before!

Lucky you, mine are all outside, a row of about 15 plants laden with
fruit and now totally dead due to a vicious frost. *If I were in your
position, I would nip out.

Judith

We were pretty close to a frost last night, apparently - it certainly
felt very brisk this morning!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

The sun is shining here, brilliant blue sky but not as warm as it
usually is at this time of year. Isn't it a bit early for you to have
a near frost in Devon this early?

Judith

It is, though it can happen. Some trees are turning quite quickly now
and leaves are falling more. Some years, the trees are still green on
Guy Fawkes night.
--
Sacha