Old 18-10-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Barely On Topic.

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"aquachimp" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt...591&cc=6248709

I really like the Matt cartoons and although I'm usually playing catch-
up with them once a week, they're normally fairly self explanatory.
But this one...

I don't get it.

Ideas?

Where have the gardener's 'wages' been coming from???????

The gardener has just been 'an expense'.

;-)))

Is this a just a play on words - 'stand against you' meaning ' be a negative
point with the electorate' instead of 'campaign as a candidate'?
Or have I also completely missed the point?
Well, 'has decided to stand against you' doesn't seem to fit this play on
words.
So unless it is a reference to e.g. a play such as 'The Chiltern Hundereds'
it doesn't seem logical to me.
Or is this some topical reference to independant candidates and sleaze that
I haven't noticed, not reading the papers much these days?