Old 19-10-2009, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Seeding Leeks ?

Therefore wrote:
I have a leek bed with 100 plants growing well
unfortunately 90 of these have gone to seed

The leek is mussel borough seed purchased from
Alex Euro trading Birmingham 30 pence per packet

Question can I blame the weather or could the
seed have deteriated or any other ideas

As far as I know (and I've only been growing leeks for a
few years, so I'm no expert, but ...) going to seed is
unrelated to the seeds you start with - that determines
more germination chance, health of plant, etc. I think
your problem is all due to growing conditions, such as
the weather.

How close to harvesting are you? I've found that leeks
that have gone to seed are ok to eat as long as you remove
the stalky bit. Is it time for a huge batch of soup to
put in the freezer, perhaps?