Old 19-10-2009, 01:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Overwintering water lettuce/hyacinth

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:31:59 EDT, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:

I had a bad whitefly infestation on poinsettias in my greenhouse last
winter.
Spray systemic didn't work, no sprays did. Research shows they're immune
to most insecticides now. Those No Pest strips made a real difference along
with 2 bug Bombs from Lowe's. The GH is 8.5 X 16.5' in size. It took 3
bombings but it knocked them back at least 99%. Once they infest your
property
you can expect them back every spring. Sure enough, they were back in
the spring. :-(

What zone are you in?

I've only had them once before outside a few years ago. I can only hope our
winter is cold enough, long enough to kill any eggs. It was interesting how
they liked the warmer zone stuff, what we call annuals here, and stayed off
anything perennial (other than being in the grass for a week or so). Since
I toss annuals after frost hopefully any surviving eggs will go with them.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us