Old 20-10-2009, 12:22 PM posted to aus.gardens
ted ted is offline

Default Are we being conned? Tax hikes? Yep it looks like it...

Jonno wrote:
Imagine 1 kilometre of atmosphere and we want to get rid of the carbon
pollution in it created by human activity. Let's go for a walk along it.
The first 770 metres are Nitrogen.
The next 210 metres are Oxygen.
That's 980 metres of the 1 kilometre. 20 metres to go.
The next 10 metres are water vapour. 10 metres left.
9 metres are argon. Just 1 more metre.
A few gases make up the first part of that last metre.
The last 38 centimetres of the kilometre - that's carbon dioxide. A bit
over one foot.
97% of that is produced by Mother Nature. It's natural.
Out of our journey of one kilometre, there are just 12 millimetres left.
Just over a centimetre - about half an inch.
That's the amount of carbon dioxide that global human activity puts into
the atmosphere.
And of those 12 millimetres Australia puts in .18 of a millimetre.
Less than the thickness of a hair - out of a kilometre.
As a hair is to a kilometre - so is Australia's contribution to what Mr.
Rudd calls "Carbon Pollution".
Imagine Brisbane's new Gateway Bridge, ready to be opened by Mr. Rudd.
It's been polished, painted and scrubbed by an army of workers till its 1
kilometre length is surgically clean. Except that Mr. Rudd says we have a
huge problem, the bridge is polluted - there's a human hair on the roadway.
We'd laugh ourselves silly.
There are plenty of real pollution problems to worry about. It's hard to
imagine that Australia's contribution to carbon dioxide in the world's
atmosphere is one of the more pressing ones. And it's also hard to believe
that a new tax on everything is the only way to blow that pesky hair away.
ETS is now being debated in Federal Parliament - is it too late for
reality to prevail?.

reality has not prevail with our pollys on both sides for a long time
now and they did not all die of aids at number 96 smh what on earth will
you think of next

abigail