Old 20-10-2009, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Quick legal way to buy small area of farmers field?

"zingari" wrote

We wish to extend our garden to incorprate a small 500sqm,(approx 1/10th
acre) area of our farmers neighbours field (no intention of planting or
altering anything) to give our dogs more room to play.

Is there a way to do this legally without the need for paying
solicitors fees which would percentage wise, add a great deal to the
transaction?
Is there a standard sale document that can be purchased,details added
and then and signed by both parties?

My thoughts are....

Can be done, I've Registered Charges myself, but with anything like this you
have to be careful re fraud etc. (Buyer beware) and do "searches" first to
be certain the correct person owns the land.

If it's Registered Land then you need forms which are at...

http://www.landreg.gov.uk/publicatio...asp?pubtype=49

Probably Form OS2 or more likely TP1 or TP2.
There are LR fees attached to this procedure and they are also on that site.
I've always found them helpful on the phone but they used to take their time
with the paperwork IME. (months!)

If it's unregistered land then either register it now or get a Solicitor to
draw up a Deed of Sale which becomes your Deeds.

If your property is Registered, do you want that piece of land attached to
your own LR Certificate, if so phone the LR to find out the procedure. In
that case your own Mortgage Co will need to be told etc. but I doubt they
would object as it increases the worth of the property but they might insist
of a new Charge (Mortgage) being taken with fees charged.

Are you going to do Local Searches too? Forms from your local Council. Just
to make sure they aren't about to put a road through.

As Nick says, also consider change of use...agricultural to garden. Not
liked by most Councils so worth asking/doing first.

I'm sure there are things I've forgotten or have changed, it's been a long
time, but there must be books on the subject.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden