Old 20-10-2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Mystery fruit from Northern California

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 23:55:30 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

"Doagie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've got this weird fruit that I found in the Menlo Park, CA, area. I
found it on some tree growing and ate some of them, people told me
they were harmless (but don't know what the name is). They're fairly
small, have a semi-hard spiky outside that one can bite through to get
to the soft, sweet, yellow inner flesh. Any ideas? I've attached some
pictures. Sorry the one with the bowl is discolored.

Pics: http://img197.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pic0028z.jpg

Thanks!

They look something like Ugli fruit, a citric fruit from Jamaica.

Freckles

I don't think so:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugli_fruit

The photos are not very clear (cheapo cell phone camera?), looks more
like a variety of sapote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamey_sapote