Old 20-10-2009, 11:29 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Are we being conned? Tax hikes? Yep it looks like it...

Jonno wrote:
Imagine 1 kilometre of atmosphere and we want to get rid of the carbon
pollution in it created by human activity. Let's go for a walk along
it. The first 770 metres are Nitrogen.
The next 210 metres are Oxygen.
That's 980 metres of the 1 kilometre. 20 metres to go.
The next 10 metres are water vapour. 10 metres left.
9 metres are argon. Just 1 more metre.
A few gases make up the first part of that last metre.
The last 38 centimetres of the kilometre - that's carbon dioxide. A
bit over one foot.
97% of that is produced by Mother Nature. It's natural.
Out of our journey of one kilometre, there are just 12 millimetres
left. Just over a centimetre - about half an inch.
That's the amount of carbon dioxide that global human activity puts
into the atmosphere.
And of those 12 millimetres Australia puts in .18 of a millimetre.
Less than the thickness of a hair - out of a kilometre.
As a hair is to a kilometre - so is Australia's contribution to what
Mr. Rudd calls "Carbon Pollution".
Imagine Brisbane's new Gateway Bridge, ready to be opened by Mr.
Rudd. It's been polished, painted and scrubbed by an army of workers
till its 1 kilometre length is surgically clean. Except that Mr. Rudd
says we have a huge problem, the bridge is polluted - there's a human
hair on the roadway. We'd laugh ourselves silly.
There are plenty of real pollution problems to worry about. It's
hard to imagine that Australia's contribution to carbon dioxide in
the world's atmosphere is one of the more pressing ones. And it's
also hard to believe that a new tax on everything is the only way to
blow that pesky hair away. ETS is now being debated in Federal
Parliament - is it too late for reality to prevail?.

This takes the prize for the most clumsy climate change denial ******** I
have ever seen. That particular lobby of vested interests has been
responsible for some rank bovine ordure over the last few years but this is
outstanding.

If you really want to keep our lack-lustre pollies on the ball understand
the issues and force them to make better choices. This tract contributes
nothing towards that aim.

Try:

- not passing on little parables and arguments by analogy, they are fuzzy
and meaningless except when they are just plain wrong;
- thinking for yourself instead of copying other people's rubbish;
- learning some science or at least enough to understand a scientist so you
won't be taken in by this sort of crap and
- giving up on conspriracy theories, they are just an easy way out of hard
problems and really don't explain anything or provide any useful course of
action.

David