Old 20-10-2009, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Seed from Shallots

"michael" wrote in message
I have bought some Hative de Niort shallots this year and they
performed badly due to my very dry soil this year,and produced quite
small bulbs.They were very expensive(5 bulbs for £5)so I would like to
see if I can grow them on to obtain some seed.Could someone tell me
how to achieve this?
Thanks,Michael

If they flowered, and you still have the flower heads, they will contain
seed .. or the seed will already have fallen on to the soil. If they
sprout, don't msitake them for grass (it's been done!) and pull them up; let
them grow on, either in situ or pot them up.

If there were no flowers, or the flowers have been composted, then you've
lost your chance for this year.

Spider