Old 22-10-2009, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
eva shovelful eva shovelful is offline

Default Sticky pots at Lowes

On Oct 21, 8:54*pm, mleblanca wrote:
On Oct 14, 11:22 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Today, as I was cutting through the garden center, as there is never a check
out line there on weekdays, the announcement that all plants were 75% was
made. Left with Huechera Miracle and a white eyes buddlia....for about $6

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl and Eva
I wish our Lowes's would have a 75% off sale, Maybe they never do that
because we can
plant just about any time of the year!

I am also a Heuchera fan. I have a bunch of them:
H. micrantha, maxima, sanquinea.... the species that are native here
then I have Rosada * Wendy * *Canyon Duet * Curly Red *(Cultivars of
the species )
also Plum *Pudding, Amethyst Mist, Key Lime Pie, Creme Brulee, Saturn,
Harvest
Burgundy, and Hercules. *One called Snow Angel (I think) didn't like
it here and went
to Heuchera heaven.

Now have you seen the Heucherellas? *a hybrid of Heuchera and
Tiarella.
You've got to get started on those too, you know.
I only have 4 of them...........Dayglow Pink, Pink Pearls,
Quicksilver, Strike It Rich.

Love 'em all
Emilie
NorCal

I adore Heucherella's. Not sure how they will do for me. I have one
Tiarella, it's a bit late to go out and see what it is. I also dug up
one out of hundred's of wild ones that were in the mountains where we
went walking one day last year that lived quietly and behaved in a
little six inch pot with it's native soil until I planted her in the
shade bed I made for it and the Tiarella. I don't usually dig up wild
flowers unless there are a lot of them. I am not greedy. I figured
one was enough, and it's proven that I did it right. I can't wait to
see how it does next springtime. I tucked it into raised soil on the
northern side of the yard in dappled shade. I tend more to get things
like wildflowers along side of the road where they are plentiful and
I'm not messing with an eco-structure. Now if only I could locate
some Chickory. but apparently I've not seen it here like it was
everywhere in Eastern Tennessee. I may have to get seeds of it
instead.

I also like sedums and succulents that are hardy (I've seen some huge
pad cactus growing around the neighborhood here, and will beg a few
pads when I get the courage up) to root for my own clump. I love the
flowers and later the "pears". I don't think there are many plants or
flowers I dislike actually. I know there are some. And since it's
very moist and wet here, I will not be planting purple loose strife. I
know better. I've seen acres of it, and it's beautiful and blooms all
season until hard freeze, but I know that here it's way too wet and
I've not seen it. I haven't seen another of my favorite wildflowers
here at all, which surprised me. Joe Pye plant. (boneset or
Eupatoria) there is Ironweed, and I've seen butterfly weed, and some
tall daisy like plants which might be helianthus or heliopsis not sure
until I look in the new book I got, but Joe Pye, not at all until I
drive back east towards the middle of the state near Nashville, which
I don't tend to do. I have seen huge area's of places with jewel weed
which has those incredible orange flowers covering it. where you see
it, there is always poison ivy, but it's a good remedy for poison ivy,
and I love the knobby stems that it has. It reminds me of my
grandmother's flowers she called Touch me not's. I'll be planting a
few bulbs soon. I read that I could store them temporarily in the
fridge, and that's where they are. but I'm at a loss as to how deep
with them. According to White Flower Farm newsletter I get, they say
to go eight inches deep on most bulbs. but the other books and nursery
sites say three times the size of the bulb, which makes more sense. I
have muscari and narcissus (Minnow and yellow cheerfullness, Thalia
and Indian Hyacinth, or Cammassia) which luckily like sunny spots. I
don't do tulips. I like them, but they don't come back after the
first year and I'm a bit strapped for garden funds for now. Maybe
some day I can get some of those botanical tulips that are guaranteed
to come every year but are smaller. thanks for the great chat!

eva shovelful gardening a little bit in western tennessee near the
Mississippi River zone 7b