Old 22-10-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quick legal way to buy small area of farmers field?

On Oct 20, 9:53*am, David in Normandy
But, until you have done that, the land is supposed to
be used only for agricultural purposes.

Yes, I've heard of a number of people coming unstuck over this.
So even though the OP says he isn't going to plant anything or change
anything technically it is still a change of use if he wants it for his
dogs to roam in. In fact just NOT using it for agricultural purposes
could be enough to trigger the need for planning permission.

Depending on how rigid the planning authority is or vindictive the
neighbours it could become a nightmare if applied for retrospectively.

I read once of a farmer extending his vegetable plot slightly into one
of his adjacent fields and the planning authorities getting to hear
about it and they forced him to destroy his veg and put the boundary
back to where it was.

I suggest a casual chat with the local planning officer. They can be
quite amenable to such conversations. It will cost nothing and will tell
you if permission is required or not. What does annoy them are
retrospective applications.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the

I'm interested in your views David as we are in talks about buying
more land, agricultural land. My husband and I have discussed many
uses, not least as a small wood, which already abounds on land we
already own, with the idea of maybe, but only maybe, as I'm not sure I
want the responsibility, of buying a horse for me to ride. At present
I get one from livery. My husband is keen for me to have my own horse
and for it to have acres to roam in, I like to visit the family and
friends in the UK and Eire and I think maybe this would be a
commitment too much for me!

As you live in France, you probably know a lot about this sort of
thing, change of use to what I have mentioned above, what are your
thoughts on this? We don 't need to build stables, we already have
those on our own land.

Judith