Old 23-10-2009, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Begonia Winter care?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:34:15 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

I've got a lovely yellow begonia still in flower in a pot outside at the
moment. What is the best way to overwinter it? Should I wait until the
frost kills off the top growth then dig out the corm or just put the
whole pot in a cold but frost free shed - it won't get much light
though? What is the best way of keeping the corm alive and healthy for
next year?

I don't have a greenhouse. I have recently taken the plants (still
flowering) out of the pots, shaken the soil off, and left them under
cover for the tops to die down. Then I will store the corms in my
garage till Spring.
One thing I would warn everyone about is vine weevil. They love
begonia corms. One year when I retrieved my corms from the garage in
Spring there were just empty shells. Vine weevils had eaten away the
insides. So check each corm carefully before storing.
I found a couple of vw larvae in the compost, so poured a kettleful of
boiling water onto the compost which I will dispose of later. They
were the only signs of vine weevil I had seen this year!

Pam in Bristol