Old 23-10-2009, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Tree Stump

On 2009-10-23 14:13:37 +0100, "mark" said:

"~Brian~" wrote in message
.. .
About 6 Years ago I had to have a 65' Eucalyptus cut down in my rear
garden, the roots were destabilising my path and garage floor, as well as
my neighbours pathway. I killed the stump off with the necessary chemicals
and it IS rotting away slowly. Does anyone know if there is any way to
speed up the rotting (breakdown) of the stump, chemical or otherwise? I
considered Stump Grinding but found the cost was not something my budget
would not stand, I am only on a small pension.
I would appreciate any comments that might assist me with this problem.

--
~Brian~....... )

I think I would drill lots of holes in it, say 1/2" diameter. Logic for
this being that it would allow water in to otherwise unreachable parts and
thereby accelerate the decay process. Chip at with an axe, anything to
increase the surface area available to rotting agents .
Also I would consider a walk in the woods and bring back some fungal decayed
wood and drop some of that in the holes.

mark

Let's hope that fungal decayed wood doesn't contain honey fungus....... ;-(
But drilling holes and putting in Root Out (or whatever it's called
now) helps though it sounds as if that's already been done - or
something similar.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com