Old 23-10-2009, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Tree Stump

~Brian~ wrote:
About 6 Years ago I had to have a 65' Eucalyptus cut down in my rear garden,
the roots were destabilising my path and garage floor, as well as my
neighbours pathway. I killed the stump off with the necessary chemicals and
it IS rotting away slowly. Does anyone know if there is any way to speed up
the rotting (breakdown) of the stump, chemical or otherwise? I considered
Stump Grinding but found the cost was not something my budget would not
stand, I am only on a small pension.
I would appreciate any comments that might assist me with this problem.

If it is dead then load it with some extra ammonium or potassium nitrate
in a few holes drilled into the top of it. The extra nitrogen will
encourage fungi to grow faster. That is how I got my old apple tree root
out of the lawn. After about 10 years the roots had weakened enough to
pull out a 3' diameter tree stump aided and abetted with a couple of
scaffold poles and a large rock that was crushed acting as a fulcrum.

Eucalyptus may well resist a lot of UK native fungi because of the woods
high aromatic content so you may be in for a much longer wait. Even so
drilling into it for increased surface area and adding nitrogen will help.

Regards,
Martin Brown