Old 23-10-2009, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_10_] Bobbie[_10_] is offline

Default Tree Stump

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "~Brian~" contains these words:

About 6 Years ago I had to have a 65' Eucalyptus cut down in my rear
garden,
the roots were destabilising my path and garage floor, as well as my
neighbours pathway. I killed the stump off with the necessary chemicals and
it IS rotting away slowly. Does anyone know if there is any way to speed up
the rotting (breakdown) of the stump, chemical or otherwise?

Find a couple of teenagers , give them an axe, saw and pickaxe, and
bribe them to dig it out. They excavate the earth from round the trunk
then saw/hack off the larger roots just
underground , to extract the stump. The hole won;t be big; just fill
in with earth and you'll never know it was there. It's a surprisingly
quick easy task (and fun, to boys) so won't cost you much. .

Janet

We have recently done just that after removing all the top growth of
three conifers, planted no doubt when dwarf conifers were so
fashionable. These just outgrew their allotted place and had to go. We
replenished the soil dug in lots of compost and leaf mould and have
reclaimed a nice strip of land for other more interesting plants. It
looked a daunting task and I was all for calling in a person with a root
cruncher, but my other half was all ready to tackle it himself so
between the two of us we did just as you recommended above. It cost us
nothing. We dumped the old roots, out of sight behind the compost heaps,
for the critters.

Bobbie

--
http://thingamabobs.co.uk/imagesofcanfordheath7.html