Old 23-10-2009, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Tree Stump

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "~Brian~" contains these words:

About 6 Years ago I had to have a 65' Eucalyptus cut down in my rear
garden,
the roots were destabilising my path and garage floor, as well as my
neighbours pathway. I killed the stump off with the necessary chemicals and
it IS rotting away slowly. Does anyone know if there is any way to speed up
the rotting (breakdown) of the stump, chemical or otherwise?

Find a couple of teenagers , give them an axe, saw and pickaxe, and
bribe them to dig it out. They excavate the earth from round the trunk
then saw/hack off the larger roots just
underground , to extract the stump. The hole won;t be big; just fill
in with earth and you'll never know it was there. It's a surprisingly
quick easy task (and fun, to boys) so won't cost you much. .

Janet

I took my neighbours conifers out with my Land Rover(V8) and a kinetic
recovery rope. Helps if you cut any roots fore and aft. If the stump is
cut right down then you need to remove some earth to get the rope
underneath.
--
hugh