Old 23-10-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Begonia Winter care?

On 2009-10-23 18:42:36 +0100, David in Normandy
said:

Judith in France wrote:

Did the gales catch you out David or did they miss you? We have a
tree man coming to sort out a big Theole with a few broken branches.

We escaped unscathed. Only had a couple of mild frosts too so far.
I guess it will soon be time to fold the leaves over on the gunnera
manicata and bring in other tender plants. We lost the New Zealand tree
ferns last year - forgot to cover them. Both dead.

David, if you get any more tree ferns, covering them is certainly one
way to go but Ray stuffs dead leaves down the crown. All ours came
through last year, though I admit I was surprised. They are still in
full leaf (frond?!) here at present, so we don't want to cut them back
just yet. The Gunnera is definitely in autumn mode.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com