Old 24-10-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default viburnum suckering

I wonder if i can check something from anyone who knows.
A friend bought some time ago, a vib. Carlessii from Wisley, (she liked
the look apparently)
Anyway she planted it in front of a window................
Apart from that she suddenly asked which leader she ought to cut back so
it looked more like a tree. Intrigued i went round to have a look to
find she had left two zonking great 'suckers' of the ordinary viburnum
opulus grow up from beneath the ground. The calresii is still only about
4 foot at most whilst the suckers are now 8 or 9 foot high.
I didn't know but i am assuming Vib. C. is grafted and if so do i tear
the suckers off the stem or saw them off for her? Which would be best
and what height should a Vib. carelssii eventually achieve?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph