Old 17-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Tim B

Default Corn

Sure. Plant in a grid, rows can be close together. Good for you for
checking with your extension office, a wealth of information specific to
your local conditions.

There's nothing quite like picking corn and dropping it directly in the pot.
Plus it looks nice growing in the garden.

Note that corn is a favorite carry-out meal for raccoons; you may need a
fence or a couple of those infrared targeted water sprinklers, if indeed you
think those work. IMHO raccoons are very intelligent and would eventually
figure out where the coverage area gaps and obstructions are and how to
avoid getting wet.

"FDR" wrote in message
I have a 15 by 23 foot garden (raised bed). I have a 6 by 15 section that
has strawberries in it but I am ripping them out because I have a new

patch
elsewhere. I have two options: plant a cover crop or plant corn. The

rest
of my garden will be tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, lettuce and broccoli.

Can I get a decent crop of corn or would a cover drop do better and then
rotate the tomatoes and peppers?

I live in zone 5, central NY and according to my cooperative extension

these
corn varieties are best suited for my area:

Early - Seneca Spring (BC, SE), Sprite (BC), Jester (II), Stardust (WH),
Sundance, Early Gold and Silver, Stars-`n'-Stripes (BC), Precocious, Sugar
Buns, Temptation (BC, SE), Sweet Dawn (SE), Geronimo (BC, SE), Trinity

(BC,
SE), Fleet (BC, SE)

Midseason - Platinum Lady (WH), Silverado (WH), Seneca Scout, Tuxedo,
Jubilee, Pristine, Polo (BC, SE), Bandit (SH2), Double Dots (BC, SH2),
Precious Gem (BC, SE)

Thanks

Rob