Old 25-10-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Tree Stump

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"~Brian~" wrote in message
.. .
About 6 Years ago I had to have a 65' Eucalyptus cut down in my rear
garden, the roots were destabilising my path and garage floor, as well as
my neighbours pathway. I killed the stump off with the necessary
chemicals and it IS rotting away slowly. Does anyone know if there is any
way to speed up the rotting (breakdown) of the stump, chemical or
otherwise? I considered Stump Grinding but found the cost was not
something my budget would not stand, I am only on a small pension.
I would appreciate any comments that might assist me with this problem.

--
~Brian~....... )

I think I would drill lots of holes in it, say 1/2" diameter. Logic for
this being that it would allow water in to otherwise unreachable parts and
thereby accelerate the decay process.

agreed, is working well for me with a 4 year old large stump

Chip at with an axe, anything to increase the surface area available to
rotting agents .

again, agreed, works well.

Other thing you can do is build a compost bin over it. That started the
decay of my tree stump well.

rob