Old 25-10-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default McCulloch Motor Mower-Self Propelled; how to adapt so grass bag can be changed without stopping engine

"Gel" wrote in message
Thanks to Euro Health & Safety zealots you can no longer stop a mower
without engine shutting off, when your hand comes off "dead man's
handle".

This means every time you need to change grass box, you have to
restart engine afterwards, each time.
Older models, would just disengage propulsion and stop blade spinning,
but keep engine on tick over.

This is a pain, but I believe some high end Motor Mowers (Honda) have
fix; however I've got this new McCulloch now.
Anyone any suggestions as to how to get round this annoyance that I
assume is on a lot of modern motor mowers?

One possibility I suppose is to fabricate some sort of crade to lift
front end of mower (as it's front wheel propelled) and place front end
of mower in that, so during grass box change, the front end is
elevated, and front wheels will keep turning, but go nowhere, but
blade of course is still rotating.

Thanks

Unless you can devise a method of stopping the blade spinning whilst the
engine remains running,
you would be unwise to attempt to change the box without the engine
stopped.
This should happen automatically in case you forget to apply your devised
method.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com