Old 25-10-2009, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Chickens killing my garden

On 2009-10-25 17:25:50 +0000, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 25, 12:11*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
You were lucky that you got them back, if any of mine were out overnigh

that would be the end of them, down the throat of Mr/Ms Fox. *I don't

know
if foxes are such a nuisance in France as they are here though, they di

dn't
seem to be in Germany.

I plan to keep some chickens here in Normandy sooner or later, but my
French neighbour thinks I will lose them. Seems he kept some at one time
but foxes broke into his barn and killed the lot. I get the impression
they were very clever and determined to get to them in what he thought
was a secure place. We are surrounded by miles and miles of open
countryside and forests here, so lots of wildlife.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the

I too am surrounded by open countryside, we live in the Foret National
Livrados. I'm sure Tina will have a small fit but I would buy an Eglu
if I were you David, they are guaranteed fox proof. Mine only sleep
in it, during the day there are totally free. You can get a long run
with them if you don't want them roaming the countryside. It's Eglu
by Omelet, they have a website.

Judith

Or, if you have only a few chickens, you can get a run and coop
combined that's on wheels. I've seen them at our local country store.
You can move the thing around so that one area alone doesn't get turned
to a mud bath in a matter of days. Shutting chickens up only at night
won't do it if there's a fox around - daylight is no worry to them.
--
Sacha