Old 17-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Aphids, black spot, and mulch, etc.

jammer wrote:

I learned about streams of water, poisons, and ladybugs to control
aphids. I want to know if there is a companion plant that would repell
aphids OR is a mix of 14 cup dish soap to 1 quart of water would kill
the aphids. It will kill a freakin' bee dead. More important, will i
harm my roses trying this...?

Fourteen cups dishwashing detergent to one quart water? Let's see, 4
cups to a quart, so that is three-and-a-half quarts detergent plus one
quart water? Why bother diluting water with the detergent g?

Juls, seriously, that formula sounds dangerous to throw on roses. Here
is a recipe that contains dish soap that you might find useful, and it
does not strike me as particularly dangerous to roses unless the weather
gets too hot (oil can cause phototoxicity to leaves if the temperatures
rise above 80 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit):

1 tsp. dish soap
1 liter of water
1 tsp. vegetable oil

This URL has some other information besides that (they use something
they call seaspray kelp here with which I am not familiar, so I omitted
it in what I excerpted in the above recipe):

http://www.urbangreenery.com/project010102.php

--
Radika
California