Old 26-10-2009, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Tree Stump

"~Brian~" wrote in message
. ..
George.com wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"~Brian~" wrote in message
.. .
About 6 Years ago I had to have a 65' Eucalyptus cut down in my rear
garden, the roots were destabilising my path and garage floor, as
well as my neighbours pathway. I killed the stump off with the
necessary chemicals and it IS rotting away slowly. Does anyone know
if there is any way to speed up the rotting (breakdown) of the
stump, chemical or otherwise? I considered Stump Grinding but
found the cost was not something my budget would not stand, I am
only on a small pension. I would appreciate any comments that might
assist me with this
problem. --
~Brian~....... )

I think I would drill lots of holes in it, say 1/2" diameter. Logic
for this being that it would allow water in to otherwise unreachable
parts and thereby accelerate the decay process.

agreed, is working well for me with a 4 year old large stump

Chip at with an axe, anything to increase the surface area available
to rotting agents .

again, agreed, works well.

Other thing you can do is build a compost bin over it. That started
the decay of my tree stump well.

rob

This stump (about 8" High and over 3' Long in a sort of oval shape) is
rotting quite well, and this morning I got to work with a Bow Saw a long
crowbar and a 3/4" wood bit and have managed to pry loose quite a big pile
of rotten wood. I think probably this is the best avenue to go, by the end
of the winter I should be able to get quite a bit more off it.

aye, thats the story. It'll be a few years to totally go but you'll see it
rot away season by season. Time will wear it down nicly.

rob