Old 26-10-2009, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Chickens killing my garden

Judith in France wrote:
Oh dear, Tina, I'm sorry, how awful!!!!! I lock the Eglu at night but
they are totally free range during the day, I have been out walking
and often walk into them coming back to the village. I am down to 1

We got a 7am phone call from a neighbour a few weeks back to say ours
had got out and were wandering around the green. That was fun trying to
get them back in. :-/
(did the hansel + gretel style trail of sultanas in the end, with a bit
of herding and arm flapping)

egg a day now, the weather has really picked up and was so warm today
that I was in tee shirt and leggings. Will they continue to lay do
you think whilst the weather is warm.

I think it's all to do with the amount of daylight, isn't it? So I
/think/ (happy to be told I'm wrong by someone with more knowledge!)
that if you are letting them out as soon as it's daylight you will stand
more chance of them laying more during winter than if they aren't seeing
daylight till 9am or so (which, unfortunately, is sometimes the case
with ours!).