Old 17-04-2003, 04:44 PM
David G. Bell

Default Education: UK

On Thursday, in article
"Oz" wrote:

The (UK) Economist 19/4/3 P25

Qualifications of teachers teaching in UK percent:

Physics Chemistry Biology
Without degree 75 50 40
Without "A" level 30 15 25

Truly mind-boggling .....

NOTE for non-UK readers: These subjects are taught from age 13.
"A" levels taken aged 17 and give entry to university.
Usually about 3 "A" levels are taken.

The standard of a 'pass' at "A" level is *very* modest.
The standard of a good grade is high.

The Ministry of Defence has had to offer remedial maths for applicants
with a "C" (middle grade) in GCSE (age 15) maths because they found they
were often baffled by fractions.

Coventry University's tests have shown that a "B" grade in "A" level
maths is about the same or worse than an "N" (fail) in 1991.

I'd be very wary of the last paragraph. There's been some major changes
in the A-level system in the last very few years, brought in very
suddenly, compared to the syllabus change I experienced.

"Let me get this straight. You're the KGB's core AI, but you're afraid
of a copyright infringement lawsuit over your translator semiotics?"
From "Lobsters" by Charles Stross.