Old 26-10-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default How do I get Nerine to flower

"echinosum" wrote ...

I planted some Nerine bowdeni around my young Judas Tree about 8 years
ago, about a foot from the trunk. I got the occasional flower in the
first couple of years, but for about 5 years none. The bulbs have
multiplied, so there are some clumps of them, probably about 20
individual bulbs now. There were plenty of leaves in the spring and
early summer, till they died back in late summer, which I think is
normal. I watered them during the dry periods. I scattered some
fertiliser about. Other bulbs in the same bed - tulips, alliums -
flower. Primulas flower and wild strawberries fruit there. The Judas
tree, after sulking for a few years, has got its feet down and is now
growing vigorously. But not a flower off the Nerine. What am I doing
wrong?

I could really annoy you by posting a photo of a local front garden that has
Nerines in flower all round it, indeed it's just grass and a pink Nerine
border all round. Look magnificent at this time of year, not much at other
times.
They do like a good bit of sun in this country, is it a very shady spot?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden