Old 26-10-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Burning wood in the house

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France
said:

On Oct 25, 10:26*pm, beccabunga beccabunga.
wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression *is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am sti

ll
wary.
Any one have * first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

--
beccabunga

We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks. We also burn frene and some pine as we have a lot of pine
beams over 150 years old from the barn. We had the roof replaced as
it was infested with Capricorne. This pine doesn't spark but I doubt
there is any resin left in it after all this time.

Judith

Oak is very dense, so burns slowly so presumably that keeps a fire in a
long time and other stuff gingers it up? Some old wooden mantles were
made of oak because it was so hard to set alight easily. We don't
have a wood burner but when the Aga dies and it must be around 50 to 60
years old, we're certainly not getting another one at those prices!
--
Sacha