Old 26-10-2009, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do I get Nerine to flower

echinosum wrote:
I planted some Nerine bowdeni around my young Judas Tree about 8 years
ago, about a foot from the trunk. I got the occasional flower in the
first couple of years, but for about 5 years none. The bulbs have
multiplied, so there are some clumps of them, probably about 20
individual bulbs now. There were plenty of leaves in the spring and
early summer, till they died back in late summer, which I think is
normal. I watered them during the dry periods. I scattered some
fertiliser about. Other bulbs in the same bed - tulips, alliums -
flower. Primulas flower and wild strawberries fruit there. The Judas
tree, after sulking for a few years, has got its feet down and is now
growing vigorously. But not a flower off the Nerine. What am I doing
wrong?

Nerines do best at the base of south-facing walls. My guess is that they
(a) get too much shade and (b) are too damp during their resting period.

They like to be baked, and really should be given full sun in the UK. Once
the leaves have gone, I would try to keep them pretty dry until a flower
stalk appears. If they get wet too early, you'll just get more leaves.
Also, if you are going to add fertiliser, try to keep it to a high potassium
rather than a general one.

--
Jeff