Old 26-10-2009, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Burning wood in the house

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 Nick Maclaren wrote:

Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

And mulberry. It's quite spectacular.

David