Old 27-10-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chickens killing my garden

On Oct 26, 11:09*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

news
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

You were lucky that you got them back, if any of mine were out overnight
that would be the end of them, down the throat of Mr/Ms Fox. *I don't
know
if foxes are such a nuisance in France as they are here though, they
didn't
seem to be in Germany.

Depends on which part of Germany and where.

In a very rural area called the Wendland.
Where I stayed there were around 20 houses, no shop, pub and one street lamp
that was turned off at 11 pm. * I was assured by my chicken-keeping friend
that there were foxes but they were far too nervous to come into the
village, probably because no-one is stupid enough to feed them like they do
here in the UK.
There seems to be more of a threat to free range chickens from goshawks
there, birds of prey were just everywhere.
There is also another chicken predator they sometimes get that *my friend
calls an enoch that has apparently spread there from Poland. *I have no idea
what it is, her description seems to say its a bit like a cross between a
small wild dog and a raccoon.
Could be anything ;-) *Enoch is obviously the German name for it.

The Wendland is an idyllic place, we went out for a walk for 6 hours and saw
just one farmer away in the fields on his tractor. *No other humans.
I chickened out (excuse the pun) when we sat at the edge of a pond at dusk
watching the bats feeding and heard wild boar approaching.
I was up and out of there and scampering down that deserted road back to the
house in point 5 seconds. *Not that I am a wimp, you understand.
Nüle followed me back more slowly. * "You weren't frightened of the wild
pigs, were you?" she enquired. * "No, of course not" I said. *"I thought it
was getting near bed-time.."
"But it's 7.30!" she said.
It was August. *It was getting dark, got to be bedtime with wild boar around
you!!

I was surprised how hot it was in Germany in August. * 30C plus every day.
I nearly fried.
Somehow I'd thought the climate was similar to Britain. *My suncream was not
sufficient.

Tina

You wouldn't like it round here at the moment then Tina, the hunters
are out in force for the sanglier. I often walk in the woods but it
is a bit risky right now, there is no way I could outrun a boar.

Judith