Old 27-10-2009, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
lloyd lloyd is offline

Default Ladybird nuisance

On 27 Oct 2009 10:43:59 GMT, wrote:

lloyd wrote:
Is it just our house or is everyone getting tons of the orange
ladybirds trying to get indoors? And we live in a very built up area
not in the fields.

Hardly a nuisance the cute little things. Why on earth would you
consider them a nuisance just for living?

Native uk ladybirds are fine, and yes, quite cute (until you see a close
up of them! :-)

Not the prettiest flying things either

The harlequin ladybirds, I believe, can give quite a nasty nip, and are
killing off the native ladybirds.

Not so sure we should always take the conservation freaks version of
events, especially if it means the wholesale destruction of another
species. The human world is a melting pot now, why should we subject
other species to lives we don't subject our own species to? If you ask
me there are too many nutty professors out there with hidden agendas.
I have never seen a harlequin behaving any different to any other
ladybug. I think one of those in my house is a harlequin and much
bigger than the others.

Personally, I've looked at the identification charts and I /still/ can't
tell the difference!

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/reco...istinction.htm
is quite helpful, though still hard to tell in real life.