Old 27-10-2009, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Burning wood in the house

Judith in France wrote:
[]
Hi Emery, good to see you! We bought a Godin about 12 years ago, for
cooking, it was pretty expensive then, maybe the prices have dropped?
I can only say that it was pretty good in quality and performance and
I suppose I should have likened it to a Rayburn:-) The woodstove is a
Supra and I can recommend it. I haven't heard of Lacanche, wish you
told me before we ordered one :-)

The stuff is definitely not cheap, I'd be surprised if the prices had
dropped. In fact, none of it is cheap, but what we priced the
Aga cookers were nearly twice the price of Godin. What I've heard
is indeed that the Godin quality has dropped in recent years,
which is born out by our friend's (not that we would tell her
that!) Lacanche has a rather annoying web site

http://www.lacanche.com/en/index.html

but it is very high quality stuff.

I have been mushrooming, unfortunately we had some vicious frost last
week and when we went into the woods near Ambert, they were frozen
solid. How do you treat your cepes, omelettes, dried, what?

We've had some frost but not enough to get into the sous-bois. Not that
it's a very good year for cepes, too dry really.

We slice and freeze raw the pristine ones, anything less that perfect
gets cooked in butter and then frozen. Of course we started out with
a big plate of them on the table!

No cepes today, but did come across some delicious macrolepiota procera,
excellent just fried whole in butter or olive oil.

cheers,

-E