Old 27-10-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default lavender (pruning)

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Spider wrote:

Incidentally, I've found that a number of lavenders produce spriggy
growth
on oldish wood, so it may not be due to L. 'Hidcote' or other cultivar.
However, I lost my L. dentata in its first winter; whether that's down to
me or that particular species, I don't know. Spider

L.dentata is not hardy at all, especially if it gets damp in winter. You
will need to keep it on the dry side in a frost-free greenhouse if you
want it to survive over winter.

--
Jeff

Thanks for that, Jeff. Mine was kept somewhat on the dry side, but
outdoors. Although it was fairly sheltered, that shelter did not compare to
a frost-free greenhouse. I will try L. dentata again, but only when I have
enough indoor space for it. My greenhouse is of the 'mini' variety and,
although useful, is little better than a cold frame. My cat, Cheetah, seems
to appreciate it, though :~).

Spider