Old 28-10-2009, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default lavender (pruning)

echinosum wrote:
The problem with pruning it just now is that if we have a frost soon it
can get into the cut ends and kill back the shoot or sprig. So you

They're right next to the front door, so I think the house possibly
radiates enough heat on cold nights to stop them getting /too/ badly
frosted, especially this early in the cold season.

might find your lavender suffers some dieback next spring, unless these
warm nights continue for a few more weeks.

Apparenrly they'll be over by the end of the weekend, if you believe the
reports.

As others have said, if you cut back into the woody bits, there is a
risk it won't reshoot, it seems to depend on the variety to some
degree. But you've done it now, so keep your fingers crossed.

Indeed. Given the unhappy state they were in this year gone, I don't
suppose it will be any great trauma if I have to chuck them now.