Old 28-10-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default lavender (pruning)

On 2009-10-28 12:11:04 +0000, said:

Sacha wrote:
that I like - I believe the flouncier the flower the less hardy it
is,
in general, and I hate the tiny plain little flowers, so it's
non-hardy
only for me, I'm afraid.
snip
So you won't like the lovely, white, simple, elegant, still absolutely
dripping with flowers Hawkshead, then? Shame. ;-)

I think it depends on the conext. The colours (although google has a
few oddities showing!
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=hawkshead%20fuchsia ) are actually
the kind I like. But my mum has one with that shaped flower which is
pale pink, and the plant is big and leafy and the flowers are small and
kind of insignificant, and it just doesn't work for me.

For years I claimed I didn't like fuschias, because they always made me
think of overgrown and run down gardens, with those huge hardy fuschia
bushes that were dark pink and purple, with huge black seed pods. When
I discovered the huge range of flouncy flowers, I changed my mind, but
still don't like the huge bushy things with more leaf than flower.

If that makes sense.

This is ours doing its end of season thing:
http://i34.tinypic.com/adn2ib.jpg
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Oh wow, Sacha ... I want one! How hardy is it? I get mixed reports when
google.

Spider

Well, that's in the area by front door of the house, where we park our own
cars, if you remember that. So it's facing south but doesn't have a lot
of protection from the house itself, though probably has some from the
wall and some surrounding (but not overhanging) trees. Just across the
path from it we lost two mimosas last winter but that Fuchsia came
through. I think this is probably its 4th year. It's worth a try, IMO
and if you take cuttings you'll have insurance! I've seen it described as
Hardy, half-hardy and tender, too! So I suppose that in the end, it
depends where it's growing.
Email me your address - yes, I know I should have it! - and I'll send it
to you later when we get some more going. If you don't have my email your
other (though not, of course, better!) half does.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Thanks, Sacha :~)) You're a gem. Will do!

Spider