Old 28-10-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chives question

Judith in France wrote:
Talking about herbs a few minutes ago reminded me that the chives are
now 2 years old and have made up into a sizeable clump. I want to
grow them in 2 positions, one for the flowers and one for cooking,
will half of the clump transplant well or should I start from scratch?

I just split mine. I've ended up with a whole row of them. Far too many
to eat. I tend to let them flower and go to seed too. The flowers are
really pretty. They tend to self seed too when left. A particularly
productive clump appeared on the gravel drive next to the herb border.
The only problem I've had with them is rust and a spray of fungicide
soon checked that - it just meant they couldn't be eaten for six weeks.
Still picking now though. Chives have a very long season here from early
Spring to late Autumn. I use lots. Good in everything from sandwiches to
stir fries and stews.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.