Old 28-10-2009, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chives question

On Oct 28, 4:27*pm, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
Talking about herbs a few minutes ago reminded me that the chives are
now 2 years old and have made up into a sizeable clump. *I want to
grow them in 2 positions, one for the flowers and one for cooking,
will half of the clump transplant well or should I start from scratch?

I had a large pot of chives that needed to be split. I just chopped
then into four. I gave two away, planted one in the garden and
repotted the other. The pot is bursting again and the bunch in the
garden is now about a foot across so I think it's OK just to split up
the clump.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I may well chop them into more bunches and keep some
just outside the kitchen door some in the herb garden and one in the
flower border.

Judith