Old 28-10-2009, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing yams in England?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I've grown sweet potatoes with small success, but they didn't seem
to be worth the space and effort for the amount we got. I think
they may have needed more water and warmth when I did them.

Yup. They really need 6 months of warm, damp conditions - where warm
is close to the maximum that the UK gets to.

Would growing them in a heated greenhouse work, or do we need more
sunlight as well?

Dunno, but I suspect that we have enough light - provided they were
grown from March onwards. The humid tropics doesn't get as much
light as you might think, especially under the canopy (which is
pretty well the only environment that occurs naturally). That doesn't
apply to the arid tropics, of course, and many places are both.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.