Old 28-10-2009, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID please?

On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

Hi all,

I nicked this flower/seed head from a bush in someone's garden last
night. The plant is about 8 feet tall and the owner doesn't know what
it is, but says it suckers readily, so I'm hopeful of getting a bit at
some point, although I'll keep it in a container just in case. I've
only seen it in the dark, so that's all I can tell you. Any ideas?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/28Oct004.jpg

It's clerodendron trichotomum, possibly the fargesii variety.
Clerodendron trichotomum fargesii is the one we have. It grows into a
small tree and the flowers are sweet smelling and as it flowers late in
the summmer it's a very welcome addition to a garden. It's very
beautiful and as you see, those berries are stunning. I think it will
do better in the ground than in a container, though. It won't grow as
big in colder parts of UK, however. Its cousin, Clerodendrum bungei
is a devil for suckering, btw! There's a pic of it in flower on the
site and you'll see how pretty the little white 'stars' are.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/shrubs/a-d.html

My C.t. is now 10 years old and a few metres across and high. Although it
flowers very well every year, it has had a few berries in only one year.
Usually it has none. I think it may need another plant (different clone,
probably) to set fruit. Is that your experience, too, Sacha?

--
Jeff