Old 28-10-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default OT Mandarin ducks

On 2009-10-28 18:58:12 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
said:

In message , Sacha
writes
I'm sort of thinking of giving someone a pair of these as a present.
But I have absolutely no idea how one would go about transporting them
to the Channel Islands. Can that be done, does anyone know?

I would expect that a breeder/retailer would know. I don't imagine that
there are any physical difficulties - they probably still ship racing
pigeons all round the country. There might well be legal hurdles - the
DEFRA web site says that veterinary health certificates are required
for some livestock exports to the Channel Islands, and I can imagine
that people might worry about bird flu, and other pathogens.

There's a directory of breeders on the British Waterfowl Association website.

http://www.waterfowl.org.uk/breeders.html

I also found a waterfowlonline.co.uk, but that only delivers to (if the
web site is up to date) "Scotland, Northern England and Wales".

I can very easily check any legal requirements or drawbacks with
importing them to Jersey. I spoke to one of the relevant departments a
couple of weeks ago about taking plants in. It's one of them nice
things about a comparatively small place - it's much easier to talk to
an actual person! Thanks for that url - I'll look at that and see if
there's a supplier who knows the pros and cons.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com