Old 29-10-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] despen@verizon.net is offline

Default Hydrangeas are failing to bloom

" writes:

QUESTION: ¡§I have two hydrangea plants that grow every year in a sunny
location, with large bright green leaves. The plants never make
flowers, however, even though the woman who gave them to me years ago
took the small plants from her garden where she had many flowering
specimens.

¡§At the end of the summer, I have those long spikes which I carefully
protect through the frosty winter, but by spring they are dried up and
appear dead. As the new leaves start to grow, I lose hope and cut the
pale spikes down. Most of the time, the deer eat the tops anyway. Any
hope? Should I transplant them?¡¨ ¡V Faith Gitlow

ANSWER: Hydrangeas can be tricky. According to the experts at
www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com (my favorite hydrangea care site) there
are three main reasons why hydrangeas fail to bloom:

A late spring freeze arrives and ruins the developing bloom buds.
Improper pruning.
Planted in wrong zone. If you have had the bad luck to plant a
hydrangea that has not bloomed after the first year you planted it,
you may finally have to concede that this particular variety is not
cold hardy in your area.

If you go to their Web site you can find more information about all
kinds of hydrangea problems.

I have a question. What is this crap from greenwood nursery?
Is it supposed to be authoritative or something?

If it is, well the answer misses the target by a country mile.

Deer...Hydrangea...no flowers?

You think there might be a connection?

The Plant Man is here to help. Send your questions about trees, shrubs
and landscaping to and for resources and
additional information, including archived columns, visit
www.landsteward.org

The plant man is a freakin spammer.