Old 28-10-2009, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default ID please?

On 2009-10-28 09:10:04 +0000, "shazzbat"
said:

Hi all,

I nicked this flower/seed head from a bush in someone's garden last
night. The plant is about 8 feet tall and the owner doesn't know what it
is, but says it suckers readily, so I'm hopeful of getting a bit at some
point, although I'll keep it in a container just in case. I've only seen
it in the dark, so that's all I can tell you. Any ideas?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/28Oct004.jpg

It's clerodendron trichotomum, possibly the fargesii variety. Clerodendron
trichotomum fargesii is the one we have. It grows into a small tree and
the flowers are sweet smelling and as it flowers late in the summmer it's
a very welcome addition to a garden. It's very beautiful and as you see,
those berries are stunning. I think it will do better in the ground than
in a container, though. It won't grow as big in colder parts of UK,
however. Its cousin, Clerodendrum bungei is a devil for suckering, btw!
There's a pic of it in flower on the site and you'll see how pretty the
little white 'stars' are.
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk/shrubs/a-d.html

--

Thanks for that people. And no worries, I hated that Sheila anyway.

Steve